What is Bakusasa Change Agents Trust?
Bakusasa means “those of the future” in IsiZulu. The Trust is designed to help improve and uplift the lives of people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
What are the objectives of the Trust?
- To care for and to provide counselling programmes for abandoned, abused, neglected, orphaned,
homeless, poor and needy children and students;
- To care for and to provide counselling programmes for people over the age of 60 years;
- To care for and provide counselling and other relevant assistance to mentally abused and
- To provide facilities that will provide protection and care to young children below school-going age
who are from poor households; and
- Ultimately, to provide poverty relief to underprivileged communities.
Why has SPW set up this Trust?
SPW is committed to working in the local communities to support growth and transformation. Setting up this
trust allows this work to continue for many years to come. We are committed to using our expertise not only to benefit our clients but also to benefit the poor and underprivileged people in our communities.
Who will benefit and how?
SPW Johannesburg has established a relationship with Oasis South Africa, which is an organisation that works with underprivileged local communities across the nation. Our work with Oasis South Africa will focus on developing and mentoring intern teachers, buying Mathematics and English textbooks for scholars and developing student-teacher practical training programmes, amongst other initiatives.
How does the Trust work?
The Trust is mainly funded by donations from SPW staff and clients and from fundraising events organised by SPW. SPW staff will also be encouraged to donate their time towards these initiatives.
How can I contribute?
- You can complete the Bakusasa Change Agents Trust pledge form which you can obtain from your
branch or from your portfolio manager.
- You can also transfer cash, odd-lot shares or other shares from your SPW account directly into the Trust account.
- You can also make direct bank deposits into the Trust account number. The banking details for the
Trust are as follows:
Bank : Fnb
Account name : The Bakusasa Change Agents Trust
Account number : 62606109561
Account type : Gold Business Account
Branch code : 255805
What about tax?
- You are allowed to deduct the portion of your bona fide donations that you made to any Public Benefit Organisation approved by SARS during the year of assessment.
- The deduction portion of the donation cannot exceed 10% of your taxable income before allowing any other deduction under Section 18A of the Income Tax Act.
- Your contributions to the Trust will be exempt from donations tax.